Wednesday, October 15, 2003

I tried out JellyOS from the MACs at work, to see how it goes.

Internet Explorer 5 on MacOS 9 - doesn't work - shockwave incompatible
Safari on MacOS X - doesn't work
Internet Explorer 5.2 on mac OS X - This works so I am typing now on one of the new eMacs.

I managed to extract the post I made last night about initial impressions of the technology, since this sort of stuff is meant to go in my learning Journal, here it is...

=================
Only just managed to get through, so this is my first post - Hi all.

email has several advantages

* you don't have to actively check for new additions to a discussion, they just arrive in your inbox
*You can choose which email program you want to use to read them with.
* You can sort emails by author, date sent, subject or threaded.
* you can reply to the whole group or privately to the author.
* Spellchecker!
*Quoted replies

Disadvantages

* Spam!

Jellyos, my first impressions:

It is interesting, since it tries to be amorpeous with lots of cross linking, although it must still be centrally controlled.
It's slow, typing into the flash text input boxes is unacceptable for editing.
Mouse heavy - you have to double click things, and you can't use the keyboard to scroll down or anything. This will stop me using it extensively, I don't want RSI thanks.

Has anybody suggested an ultraversity meetup yet? It's always good to put faces to names, and then the community gets going faster.
=========
end quote

No comments: