Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Drains

Yesterday I sorted out two problems.

At work, I was called down to the office where they had installed a new laser printer on the network, but they couldn't print to it from the other office PC. Despite never having dirtied my hands with windows 2000 before, after messing about for half an hour I managed to get them talking.

At home, my downstairs toilet, when flushed, was filling up but not draining away. I emptied the sump directly outside but this didn't help, then I opened up a manhole cover halfway down the garden and cleared a smelly blockage there. Still no joy at the toilet end. Not knowing exactly what I was doing, but suspecting some sort of air-lock, I pushed a plastic bag down the toilet bowl and swooshed it back and fore a couple of times. With a glug glug glug, the bowl emptied and is now functioning perfectly.

Out of the two problem solving excercises the second was by far the most satisfying!

No comments: