Friday, June 17, 2005

ILM2-05 LA3 data

After the problem with extracting some Wiki data I’ve now found problems with analysing mailing list data as well. This is because I don’t have a pop3 email client set up on the Mac, and gmail search results are not as convenient as having individual messages in your own database because of the way in which gmail presents its results only in a threaded view, without any option to sort by date or by author. How I miss Forte Agent!
I’m not too fed up about this though, because finding problems with the data collection method is a valid finding in itself, especially now that the emphasis for next year seems to be shifting towards researching the process of research itself rather than doing anything useful. If I decide to pursue my own methodology of ‘Distributed Action Research’ ( see report9 ) then it will stand me in good stead to have uncovered these problems in year 2.
The findings from the data which I have obtained so far are looking good though – the traffic on the COP mailing list has actually increased substantially since the Wiki was introduced, while only a minority portion of the increase can be attributed to discussions about the wiki. This throws up the question of whether it may be possible to conclude that there is a causal link between the vigor of the COP and the success of the Wiki project.

No comments: