Wednesday, June 15, 2005

ILM2-05 analyse wiki data - unexpected setback

/
I tried setting Recent Changes to display all the edits ever made but it won’t list further back than 12th April – this is an unexpected setback!

I know the data is still on the MySQL database, because the history for Main Page will list edits going back to 30th January.




Unfortunately, I don’t have time to learn enough about the syntax of MySQL query language to be able to construct my own direct searches of the database, so I’m stuck without being able to retrieve some of the data which I had assumed I had access to when I framed the question. So how can I get around this?




Well I do have the quantitative data which was compiled for report 9, which covers the period 31st Jan – March 12th




And I could still gather total number of edits data for the last two months.




13April-12thMay




13thMay-12thJune




and compare it to the month 13thFeb-12thMarch. This would give me a very good comparison between how much the Wiki is being edited now compared to the period in the first flush of activity.




and from the Special Pages statistics I can work out an average number of edits per month since the Wiki began as well. Then I could draw a histogram diagram which shows the bulk for those periods being depicted ( as well as the gaps) along an accurate timescale.

No comments: